RAW FOOD CARAMEL SLICE RECIPE
While searching for a healthy raw food dessert for our upcoming function we stumbled across this blog with a recipe for raw caramel slice. Our event is an After Business Hours for Mosman Chamber of Commerce a presentation for local business owners, who are not necessarily into health and fitness. We didn't want to shock them too much and are easing them into the idea of healthy eating. This is a great recipe which looks naughty but with the raw ingredients to make it nice!.
The recipe suggests using a Vitamix. We have a Thermomix and have successfully used it for this recipe.
A good quality food processor should work too.
The website for the recipe is www.rawblend.com.au
Ingredients - Base
- 1 cup dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 pinch of organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil (melted)
Ingredients - Caramel
- 1 cup dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 ½ Tbsp unhulled tahini
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup water (if needed)
Ingredients - Chocolate Layer
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup pure organic maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla organic vanilla bean paste
- pinch Himalayan Sea Salt
Method - Base
- Put all the Base ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Pulse ingredients on High speed until it desembles fine crumbs and sticks together easil.
- Mould the mixture into a tin lined with non-toxic greaseproof paper.
- Place in the freezer to set for 1 hour.
Method - Caramel
- Put all the Caramel ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then override to High.
- Use your tamper really well to help the mixture down to the blade.
- If you need to, add a little bit of water.
- Pour the caramel mixture on top of the base and return it to the freezer for 1 hour or until set.
Method - Chocolate Layer
- Add the coconut oil, (maple syrup or coconut nectar) and vanilla bean paste to a bowl and gently sift the cacao powder into the mixture.
- Whisk until nice and smooth.
- Spread the chocolate sauce on top of the caramel layer
- Place it back in the freezer for an hour and then remove from the tin, slice and serve!
- Make sure the caramel layer is set before you cover it with the chocolate mixture.
- Make sure to always check that the nuts you are buying are gluten free.